Do you love making homemade treats for your dogs? Well, here’s a fun and easy recipe for you!
Homemade treats are always better than store bought ones and there’s nothing better than knowing your giving your dog a healthy snack.
Dogs love apple chip treats! They smell so good, it’s hard to resist eating them yourself. That’s why I created this recipe for easy apple chips you can whip up in a matter of minutes with ingredients you probably already have on hand. In fact, these apple chips are so simple to make that your kids can help out too!
This post may contain affiliate links from which I will earn a small commission at no cost to you.
This recipe makes delicious treats for your dog, and is super simple to prepare and you have three options on how to make these tasty apple chip dog treats:
- Microwave dried – if you’re in a hurry you can blast these for a quick snack.
- Oven dried – Bake them after you’ve cooked your evening meal or Sunday Roast and save energy.
- Dehydrator – dry them to perfection with this must have kitchen gadget for all home made pet food addicts. I love mine as you can do whole batches of treats and chews in one go and save time and energy. Check out this list of treats and snacks you can make with a dehydrator!
All three methods use the same basic ingredients: apples, lemon and cinnamon. You’ll might like to use an apple corer and a mandolin slicer to help you get the perfect crispy apple chips, or make them thicker for chewy apple slices.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Apple chips are good for dog’s digestion, skin, energy levels and more
- Simple to make with the three cooking options
- You can take them with you for training ( and snacking) when on your dog walks.
Benefits of Dehydrated treats for dogs
Dehydrated apples are one of the best things you can give your four legged friend because they’re delicious and healthy. Unlike processed treats that contain all sorts of sugars, preservatives, colors and chemicals, dehydrated apple chips are made from wholesome ingredients like 100% fresh apples. Forget about adding any more sugar or preservatives to dog treats. Try these apple chips instead!
– Reduce the risk of obesity and diabetes.
– Help your pet maintain a healthy weight.
– Give your dog healthier treats that they’ll love.
Ingredients and their benefits to your dog
There are many apple benefits for dogs. Most obviously, apples are a great source of fiber. Apples also have plenty of sugar which provides energy to the body. Despite being natural, apple’s sugars are much healthier for your pup than store-bought snacks that might be made with refined sugars or other fillers. Apples are also packed with Vitamin A and Vitamin C plus antioxidants.
Cinnamon is often recommended for proper insulin function, because it improves glucose tolerance (meaning that your dog will break down sugar faster and more efficiently). It can also help lower cholesterol levels in the blood. “Cinnamon has properties that may help control the type 2 diabetes,” according Dr Keith Pearson, PhD, RD from Healthline.com.
Coconut oil is an excellent source of healthy medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs), which are easily digested and converted into energy. It’s also packed with nutrients important for your pet’s overall health, including vitamins A, B 6, E, K; amino acids; phytosterols; healthy omega fats that support the immune system and much more!
This recipe is meant to be a special treat for your dog and should not take the place of their regular food. Treats should not account for more than 10% of your dog’s daily calories. To adjust the treat quantity and size, simply change the amounts in the recipe in proportion to suit your size of your dog. Before adding new foods to your dogs’ diet, contact your veterinarian for advice.
Easiest DIY Dried Apple Chip Treats Your Dog Will LoveYum
- 2 whole Apple
- 1 juice Lemon
- 2 tsp Cinnamon optional
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil optional
- Core your apples and make sure you dispose of it and all the seeds2 whole Apple
- Slice your apples very thinly with your knife. If you have a mandolin like this then this will make it much easier to get perfect thin slices for making apple chips.
- Squeeze the juice from your lemon into a bowl and add 3tbsp of filtered water.1 juice Lemon
- Pop your apple slices into the bowl to soak in lemon juice for 5 mins which will stop them turning brown.
- Remove your slices and pop them onto some kitchen towel where can now sprinkle them with cinnamon if you'd like.2 tsp Cinnamon
- Now take your slices and depending on which method you are using spread them out on a baking sheet, or microwavable plate or in the dehydrator
- I like to drizzle a little coconut oil for extra crispiness if I'm baking them in the oven.2 tbsp Coconut Oil
Cooking Method 1: Microwave
- I have this handy gadget for making chips and crisps in the microwave which holds them vertical and stops them touching each other. Otherwise arrange them on a microwavable plate so that they are not touching. Microwave for 2-3 minutes depending on the power of your microwave. Check them at 30 second intervals. You want them crispy but not burnt! If you want to make them more chewy then cut the slices in half before microwaving and cook them for 30 seconds at a time until the desired texture is reached.
Cooking Method 2: Oven
- Bake the apple slices on a non-stick cookie sheet in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour; flip the apple slices over and bake for another hour. When finished, turn the oven off and leave the apple slices in the oven while it cools.
Cooking Method 3. Dehydrator
- Spread your apple slices out on the trays in your dehydrator. Make sure they aren't touching. Dehydrate on 60 degrees for 6-8 hours until they are crispy. You may need to turn the slices over halfway through cooking depending on your dehydrator.
- If you’re using a dehydrator then why not make these yummy Banana Chips and Chews too!
Add Your Notes
Apple Chips and Dog FAQs
Are dried apple chips good for dogs?
What type of apples should you use?
Do Homemade Apple Chips for Dogs Really Save you money?
How long will these apple chip dog treats keep?
Can dogs eat apples every day?
What are the best baking apples for dogs?
What’s the best dehydrator to buy?
Dehydrated apple is a great way to keep animals healthy without having to feed them fake stuff with not-so-great side effects! So go ahead– make your pup some dehydrated apple snacks today and be the perfect pet parent!
Other food you can dehydrate to make dog treats
Looking for inspiration on foods you can dehydrate into scrummy treats for your dog? Then here are our favourites: